Monday, March 13, 2023

Twenty-One Steps: Guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Solider by Jeff Gottesfeld

I have never been to the Tomb of the Unknown Solider, but this book made me want to hop in the car and visit Arlington Cemetery to pay my respects to the Unknown Soldier. The monument is dedicated to the dead US service members whose remains have never been identified. Families who have lost their son, daughter, or brother have a place to mourn. Twenty-One Steps tells how the Tomb came about, who it represents and the story of the sentinels that guard the monument. The book highlights dedication and service.

Twenty-One Steps is a great lesson in American history and the wars she fought. In addition, the book is awe-inspiring, moving and beautiful. It was very hard for me to read the book to my grandchildren without getting very emotional. In fact, the nine year old had to finish it for me because I could feel the tears starting to form. Twenty-one Steps is a picture book with great illustrations. It is a book that should be read to the elementary school crowd. My preschooler was having a hard time following the book. This is a great addition to any home library, and I give it 5 stars.

Fun Activities: Find out if there is a National Cemetery in your hometown, if so go visit it. On the internet look up Arlington Nation Cemetery: https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/Tomb-of-the-Unknown-Soldier

Published In: 2021 
Publisher: Candlewick
Age Level: 7-10 years old
AR Level: 3.8
Pages: 32
Stars: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mystery on Pine Lake by Tamra Wright 🟊🟊🟊🟊🟊

This children’s novel is a classic “whodunit” book.   A murder has not been committed, but somebody is trying to sabotage the loon’s nest on...